Sunday, October 21, 2012

Paleo Birthday Cake - Miss Em Turns Two!

Emily turned two on Monday. I can't believe how fast the time has flown! It took me until Saturday to make her a Birthday cake but it was definitely worth the wait.

The cake was a paleo recipe from a CrossFit website. I used the same one for her cake last year with much success.

The batter it makes is really thick, but it still rises just like you would expect a cake to.

Okay so the icing is more Primal than Paleo...
Dark chocolate ganache
Seriously if you live in this part of the world and haven't tried Whittaker's Chocolate, do yourself a favour and buy some!

The finished cake with little bunting. 
I've been wanting to try this effect for a long time.
It's a great way to decorate a cake without using sugary icing or fondant.
The washi tape used in the bunting was a birthday gift purchased from chibi run

Two layer cake
That's a double batch of the recipe cooked in two 8 inch pans.

Emily loved it!!

This is a delicious recipe and perfect for a Birthday. Cream doesn't really agree with me, but it was nice as an occasional treat. Plus it has no ill effects on the girls (they drink milk every day).


2 comments:

  1. You won't be offended if I say it was 'surpisingly delicious' will you? Even Sean liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no not offended at all. It's made with coconut and dark chocolate, you're not normally a fan of either of those things so I think I did ok!

      Delete